Tips for Dealing With Insurance Companies After a Car AccidentRequest a Free Consultation
Dealing with insurance companies following an accident can be tricky. The insurance adjuster may appear helpful, but the insurance company’s goal is to settle your claim quickly and pay out as little as possible for damages. You do not have to accept or agree to settlement offers, particularly when the amount seems unreasonable for your damages, and a Springfield car accident attorney will work to prevent the insurance company from taking advantage of your need for assistance.
Things To Do When Dealing With Insurance Companies
While there are basic steps you can take to ensure your claim is documented with the insurance company, working with Holley, Rosen & Beard, LLC will strive to achieve your best interests. We provide a guideline below for the essential information to share with an insurance company following an accident. It is okay and you have the right not to answer specific questions relating to the accident without representation.
- Contact the insurance company immediately. Review your insurance policy before calling to understand better what your policy covers.
- Submit any documentation about the accident to your insurance company, including photos, contact and insurance information for the other drivers involved, and a police report.
- When submitting the previous documentation and any documents of medical bills, receipts for out-of-pocket costs, medications, or any other expense, keep a copy for your records.
- Continue to follow the treatment plan your medical team prescribes so the insurance company understands you are working within a doctor’s recommendations to recover. An insurance company may try to lessen the claim amount if injuries are worsened by not following the doctor’s orders.
- Do contact a personal injury attorney in Springfield as soon as possible to prevent critical mistakes that could reduce your compensation.
The most efficient way to handle a car accident claim is by letting an experienced team work on your behalf. Decades of advocacy for our clients provide the confidence you need to move forward successfully in the recovery process after a Springfield or central Illinois car accident.
Things You Should Not Do When Dealing With Insurance Companies
Numerous pitfalls can prevent you from receiving the compensation you deserve. Holley, Rosen & Beard, LLC understands the hurdles insurance companies create in receiving compensation because we negotiate with adjusters regularly on behalf of our clients.
- Do not talk to an insurance company alone after an accident. Simple statements about the incident can be misconstrued as acts of negligence on your part.
- Do not admit fault in an accident when there may be facts about your case that can be uncovered during the investigation process that proves otherwise. An admission of fault can impact your claim significantly.
- Do not give a recorded statement about the accident without consulting a Springfield car accident attorney.
- Never assume the estimate of the value of a claim the insurance company gives is accurate or fair. Your claim may be worth more, but the goal is to minimize payout.
- Never sign blanket medical authorizations or settlement documents without speaking to a personal injury attorney in Springfield. The only medical information the insurance company needs access to are the documents directly related to the accident.
Let a Springfield car accident attorney at Holley, Rosen & Beard, LLC remove the guesswork in dealing with insurance companies for you. Experience matters when it comes to determining the compensation you deserve. Do contact us for a free consultation, and don’t wait until it is too late.